Monday, December 29, 2008

My First Parenting Rule...BROKEN!

I really tried (stress *tried*) to NOT make all kinds of claims when i was pregnant about what i would do as a parent. Yes, I did say my kid was going to be great and never cry, be well behaved, etc...BUT of course i was joking. Besides, we don't even know about that yet since she's still a baby.

Anyway, i understood that whatever i thought about parenting would have to be bent to baby's will to preserve my sanity. But i made just one rule i planned to stick to...no baby in my bed. And within a week, this rule was done. It was either:
-Stay awake A lOT through the night holding/soothing her by walking around the house, or
-Let her sleep with us in the bed
The choice was clear.

Of course this was before we realized she has tummy troubles (she's already like me). Ally put her to sleep on her stomach (something i would never have done because of SIDS authorities) and she slept for 4 hours!!! Of course she would be more comfy on her belly since it's the #1 rule to prevent SIDS-Babies should be put to sleep on their backs.

I still can't let her belly sleep at night (on purpose), but during the day i say, "F You, SIDS." :) I do make sure she's breathing often. Something else we've done is put a pillow in the co-sleeper for her to lie on. This way she'll actually sleep on her back! Last night she stayed in her bed the whole night! Pretty sure this is the 1st time since we were in the hospital. I do have to hold her belly for a while either because it hurts or just so she knows i'm there, but man, way better than her in the bed.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Been there--felt so guilty about putting her in the bed with me, and then I realized that her sleep AND my sleep were more important. Was also worried it would create a bad habit...and it never did. Around 6 months she was too wiggly for my "better sleep" theory to hold true any more!