Friday, October 31, 2008

Am I in Labor?

TMI Warning…Seriously, if bodily fluids gross you out, stop reading. Actually, you might want to stop reading until the Baby is potty trained:)

So i was thinking since we called the Baby Boo, he'd like to come out on Halloween. I guess it's late enough now to say we're safe for tonight.

Yesterday after 3pm I realized that I had been having contractions all day. I didn’t know if they were Braxton Hicks or real ones…until that night when I had another. They all felt like period or “have to go to the bathroom” cramps, so pretty much each time I tried to go to the bathroom. Well, during last night’s I found blood! So, last night I lost my mucus plug. So far this morning the blood has stopped, but this mean that I’m probably closer than I thought. It usually means the cervix is opening to allow that to come through. Talk about freaking a girl out. Steven and I were packing the hospital bag and it’s all in my truck just in case.

Throughout the night I probably had 4 “episodes.” They didn’t last too long, but man do they suck. It’s the back pain that’s worse than the cramps. Steven didn’t want to leave me but I told him to go to work. He needed to get some stuff from there and I wanted to go to work, too. Figured it would take my mind off of it.

He wanted me to call the Dr to tell him, but I don’t want to. The “what to expect” book says you can lose your plug weeks before you even deliver and I don’t want him jumping the gun trying to make me go today instead of ruining his weekend. I still called, though, just to be safe. (As a side note, my super has the same Dr, and he is not quick to induce or cut people open...story to come later).

Around 11am the blood stopped…so did the discharge. Still having slight cramping every once in a while, but haven’t had a bad one since 5am.

Nurse called back said it was a good sign, that the cervix is thinning, but labor/delivery can still be weeks away (book was right!). She said when they start coming more regularly-empty my bladder, then sit/lie comfortably on the couch on my side with a big glass of water and time them. I’m to call them back when they are 5 minutes apart for 1-2 hrs. She also said pay attn to baby’s movements-should still be active. (S)he still is.

So all day was pretty good...only maybe 2 cramps that were a little heavy, but on the way home i stop at Albertson's and as soon as i grab the basket here comes one:( I try to just hold on to the basket and get to the side and pretend i'm reading my list. Of course i'm in someone's way. So, i go down an empty aisle. I stand, waiting, squirming, debating on whether or not the store can wait. I go to leave and see a stool, so i sit and wait it out. As soon as i get home here comes another! Steven comes to help and here he starts timing them. Since i've been home they are pretty much every 20-30 minutes. Holy Crap i could have this baby very soon. He pulls out the labor book and confirms that this is the 1st stage. He's also being very great...reminding me to breathe and picking up the house:)

I'm really not ready to to this! I was sure it would be next week.

4 comments:

Jen said...

So exciting! You're not going to be "ready" for anything ever again, my friend! This is just the beginning and training time.

Veronica said...

Congratulations!!!! I knew it! So glad I have tons of clothes for you :)!

Babsy said...

Yes, you are in labor.

crazythibs said...

thanks for the updates, I keep checking everyday to see if you are updating and was very happy that you kept us in the loop. I am very excited for you, can't wait for baby boo.