Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Good News & Bad News

We saw 2 healthy babies with 2 healthy heartbeats today. One is in the uterus and one is either in my tube or in my abdomen. But its growth and heartbeat are on schedule. It doesn't make sense.

The u/s tech didn't tell me anything, just that she'd call the Dr right away. I've read about this kind of thing before, and they were able to remove the ectopic and leave the other in place, unharmed. But that was in California. Could they do this in Baton Rouge? We are not exactly progressive here.

So i was sent immediately to maternal fetal medicine for a 2nd opinion. Another u/s. Same diagnosis. But this time a Dr was in the room. He asks, "Do you have any live children?" I immediately think this means that there is no chance for a successful outcome here-already having one or some will lessen the blow. But, he says it should be no problem to have surgery to remove the ectopic and leave the other unharmed. It was so calm and nonchalant that i didnt' even grasp it at 1st. So i asked again to make sure. So i was sent back to my Dr and it's true.

She scheduled me for 1pm, but since i ate breakfast, changed it to 4pm:( I am already starving. How can you deny food (and water) to a prego? She explains that 1st she'll go in with the scope to see how everything looks. Hopefully she can remove it that way, but she doubts it. What will probably happen is after she looks with the scope, she'll have to do a bikini cut and remove it that way. This means more hospital and recovery time:( Oh and depending on how it looks, she might remove the tube. This didn't even phase me this time...as far as i'm concerned my tubes are useless anyway.

The only problem i'm having with this whole thing (besides being hungry) is the fact that baby 2 is just that...a baby, a normal, healthy, baby, with a beating heart, that they are going to stop:(

What you can be happy about right now is Baby 1! Soooo advanced...measuring 7weeks 1day, which puts my due date on Matt's birthday: Nov 3rd. Heartbeat was 138bpm. I even got to hear it!

8 comments:

Allyson said...

Sending much love

Christine said...

I can't even find the words for this simply because I am so shocked. Every fiber of me felt like this, this was going to be the problem free get fat pregnancy. I also understand that while you want to look at the positive it is a difficult situation.
My thoughts prayers are with you, and if it is any concession this baby is going to be the most loved special child on the planet.

Jen said...

Thinking about you Leslie!

Chris said...

Reading your message today, was well to say the least heart breaking. I love you honey and my thoughts and prayers are always with you:(

paula said...

Thinking about you and saying a little prayer for you, Stephen and the babies.

Heather said...

My thoughts are with you and Steven. Stay strong and take care of yourself.

Leslie said...

Thanks, everybody! I'm doing well and the baby seems to be fine, too. I'll write more later.

crazythibs said...

Hey honey,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love you honey