Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I need a job...quick :(

What do I do? Am I being too picky or is my thinking correct.

I decided I want to go back to teaching. There are no mid-year jobs. So, unless I teach summer school, which is an option (although a scary one), I won't be working until Fall.

I need money now. I've been applying to a couple temporary/part time data entry and receptionist type jobs and haven't heard anything. I have several other offices like this to send my resume to.

Steven likes the idea of me going back to audit...maybe just until the baby is born, so we can pay down some debt and i can quit for good. 1st: i hated audit more than teaching and 2nd: i know many of the audit mgrs and cannot in good conscious lie in an interview about how much i want to work there knowing i'll quit before the year is out. But, GOD, the money would be good. And maybe audit somewhere else will be different? No, wait, it's still audit.

By the way-all of this thinking is assuming my pregnancy is a good one and i'll have a baby early November.

So. Even if i start interviewing @ schools, do i tell them i'm prego? Does that mean they won't hire me? Should I give up on this idea because they won't hire me? What about sub-ing? Should I try to do that for the next couple of months? Is that even worth it for only 2 months or so? Maybe so, since I can see how the kids are in the schools/grades i'm looking at.

Lots of questions here. Do I:
-Start submitting for teaching/sub-ing?
-Do above and continue submitting for office/clerical positions? (I really think working in a Dr's office would be kinda fun.) Or ONLY do this?
-Look for a whole new career...find something that somewhat fits my skills/experience and sell myself? (But this might take a while to find.)
-Apply to Babies R Us? They are hiring too and you get an employee discount:) Seriously.

Please comment. Even if you think i don't agree or want to hear your thoughts...i do.

10 comments:

Jen said...

My advice is worth what you pay for it:
1. DO not sub. You'll only make about $60 a day. Seriously. And the kids will torture you for sport. This begins at Kindergarten.
2. There are mid-year teaching jobs available. If you want to go back to teaching, apply. I started a job in March once. It was awful, but I figured I only had to do it for 3 months. I survived it.
3. Keep in mind that teaching is stressful Even if you hate auditing, is the stress less? Just something to think about. Oh--and teaching you'll be on your feet all day. Another thing to consider when you're 7-9 months pregnant. And the lack of bathroom breaks :-)

Leslie said...

I'm just so scared. I don't know what hapenned to my self esteem. I used to think I could do anything and now i start getting ready to apply for something and stop because i feel dumb because they'll have to train me and i don't want to be that girl. It's so stupid, i know:(

Leslie said...

BY the way, Central's subs (since i'm degreed and certified) make $80/day.
You're right. I'm going to fill out apps for Central and Ascension and put on a suit and hand deliver them!

Babsy said...

I vote Babies-R-Us.

Jen said...

I disagree with Babsy--BRU you would make, what? $6.50/hr? Your discount would probably be like 10%, and they have coupons all the time that will get you that. Plus the Wal-Mart brand of diapers are awesome and cheap!

I think your first order of business is to find that self-esteem again. Have you looked in the closets and car?

You rock, Leslie. You are the $hit. Repeat often.

Chris said...

Les, I have to totally agree on all points with Jen...
As for your self esteem, I think you left it at your old job.. When you have to put yourself out there again, you can't help but feel like that girl. Being trained all over again sucks. I am the same way. I know my job skills and when I have to start over and put myself out there I am once again that girl. You are smart, and any job would be privileged to get you.
Remember that.

Christine said...

Ok I put some thought to this and I agree with your sister. You did sort of leave the self esteem at the Lottery.I totally understand being scared of new job especially with those crazy kids!! However I don't think that teaching wan't for you, I just think you were at the wrong school.
If you are comfortable with$80/day for now then sub for now. The experiance alone would be good since you ultimetley plan to go back to it in the fall. I thought about what Jen said with you having to stand up all day and agree that it would suck. However I remember how miserable you were towards the end at the lottery I think that the toss up of standing all day vs. being miserable all day is a no brainer.The only reason that I would suggest you do the audit thing again would be if you guys were really in financial trouble.No matter what I so agree with Jen about Toys R Us. DONT DO IT!!! Minimum wage,screaming kids(if they aren't yours/close friends face it they are aggrivating),discount can't be that great.
Just make yourself/your baby as happy/healthy as you can during these pregnant months.

Allyson said...

Even close friends kids are aggravating :)

Jen said...

mine is aggravating me right now.
probably because I am sick and want to sleep.

Anonymous said...

you know you have to remember who the adult is. bring Steven's balls to school without actually showing them to everyone. Your demeanor has to show those rugrats whose boss.Above all else do what you think you would really enjoy. I can't say it enough,your degree means that you can learn.Remember I'm working with someone who can't count and she is supposed to be a cashier.....go figure.