Monday, March 3, 2008

SUSHI!

Steven's fishing trip was quite fruitful! They caught 19 blackfin and 1 yellowfin tuna. So we made sushi on sunday! I've made sushi just with the rice and a piece of fish on top the last time he went fishing, but this time we did rolls! It was so much fun (and not even that hard).

Towards the end some of us started getting creative. Check out Clyde's Caterpillar:

Cool wasabi eyes, huh?

We even made Cali rolls and fried oyster rolls(so i had something to eat). Ok, wait, full disclosure i said in my last post: I ate 2 pieces of the raw stuff, but they were small pieces. Speaking of, i had 2 oysters on the half shell at the summerhouse (i did lock my doors) on Saturday. Steven was not happy, but i chalked it up to being pissed and kinda reckless. That was the 1st time i was craving alcohol, too. I think because i was being pessimistic (i.e. "I'm bleeding and not prego, so what's the use"). But i did not drink. Whole foods had Abita Rootbeer in the bottle, so i got some so i could feel like i was drinking beer. It is gooooood, and i didn't even think i liked rootbeer.

At home sushi is so much cheaper than going to the restaurant, and so much more fun. It may not taste the same, but we'll get better with practice:) We will be doing this again soon and hope you join us!

Still have several bags of fish in the freezer, so let me know if you want some.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Who wouldn't want fresh fish? Okay, so I heard this news story about sushi on GMA (i know, not "real" news) The point is that in Japan, prego women eat sushi. If you crave it, all you have to do is tell the sushi chef that you are pregnant, and he can 1. give you the "safe" raw fish, and 2. cut the best pieces for you.
Wish I knew this when I was pregnant. All in moderation! *this important message brought to you by Jen*

Christine said...

Ok, to start thats pretty scarey.. What do you mean the "safe" raw fish and the best pieces. So in general we're not getting the safe raw fish or good pieces. I think I will just start saying I'm preggo everytime I go eat sushi. Thanks for that advice, cause I love sushi.
Anyway, I wanted to let you know Les - did you know that grandpa was a twin.. (Moms side) so looks like you might be the one who carries that on. Lucky you!
Still Praying for you and my nieces or nephews or niece and nephew.

Leslie said...

That was my thinking about japanese people...

No way, Grandpa! I never heard that. If i have twins i think it'll be more because of crazy hormone inducing drugs:)

Will post as soon as i get my blood level back.

Leslie said...

By the way, chris, i love how you think..."safe fish." Sounds right.

In case i never get the chance to do this in person...Jen meet my sister Christine...Chris, meet my friend Jen :) I love online relationships

Christine said...

I love this online relationships too. Since I don't live close enough to see you ever day or have time to just sit on the phone this is the next best thing.
Hi Jen, nice to sort of meet you.:)

Jen said...

Man, go to the pediatrician for a day and yo miss all the good conversation. Hi Christine. "Safe" sushi for preggos means the stuff that isn't high in mercury. Sorry for not being clear.

I agree about the "best" pieces, though. I've heard never order the "spicy" raw rolls because they use the old fish (the spicy part masks the flavor.) Just a tip!